My less than abundant stash. Sad, but deliciously sad.
Yesterday marked the end of October and another Halloween’s passing. Unfortunately, with school, homework (Yes, my little brother got a ‘trick’ from his teacher), makeup, and my poor time management skills, we ended up being part of the straggler group.
The sad part was that most people weren’t in high spirits by the time we headed out (around 8.00) and we faced a lot of dark houses or houses with lights, but no answer. All in all, the three of us combined had a pretty good haul, especially considering that one of the three was a twenty-five year old with a pillowcase. So I suppose it wasn’t a bad night.
Anyway, I was planning to update the costume process here, but since I didn’t start on anything until yesterday morning (Is there a rehab for procrastinators?), this will be more of a ‘How I Made a Last Minute Costume’ post.
For those of you who haven’t read the previous posts, I wanted to make a Batgirl costume this year. The only pieces that were ready yesterday was the bodysuit and cowl base (which I custom ordered online), the wig, a pair of gloves, and the base mask. Which meant, no belt, ears, boots, emblem, cape, or proper mask.
Now I knew I had a lot to do, but last year I managed to put together a decent Wonder Woman ensemble in relatively the same amount of time, so worrying wasn’t an option.
The first piece was the belt. With possible plans of hitting up the downtown pub area after taking the kids around, I had planned a functional belt. The material?
Moldable plastic from Amazon.com
I am absolutely smitten with this stuff. Not only is it easy to use (just drop the pellets it into hot water), but the fact that I can now make anything I want out of plastic is just thrilling! During the first attempt, I hand molded the piece and warped my credit card in the process. The ‘buckle’ was too heavy though, so I ended up making a front and back piece and sticking them together with a thin line of the softened plastic. Then I used a reading glasses case to mold around for the ‘secret weapon compartments’. After that, a quick couple coats of spray paint and voilà!
The perfect superhero buckle.
I would have liked more time or something better than sandpaper to smooth it out, but the cool part is that the buckle functions as a card holder and the sides are hallow with removable tops.
It's functional too!
Next, I started on the cape. Since I don’t have a machine or the skill to do a decent hand sew, I cheated with liquid stitch to glue the two fabrics together and measured out a rough template to give me a cape and a way to secure it around the neck.
I drew the template on with stick concealer, as I didn’t have chalk and made a six inch paper template for the cutouts at the bottom to make them symmetrical. It took a lot of glueing and trimming, but I’m quite pleased with the final product.
At this point, I was running out of time and still had the mask, ears, belt, and symbol to do. That meant I was going to have to cut corners. The belt was the easiest. I had originally planned to either cut one out of a thin piece of plastic or use a belt, but both of those methods required time or materials that I didn’t have. It was time for a trip to the household recycling pile and with a quick cut, some duct tape, and a couple coats of spray paint, I had a passable, albeit lame, accessory.
I also happened upon a tissue box that worked to make a base template for the ears, which I covered with leftover fabric from the cape. It wasn’t as flawless as I had wanted, but it was light and worked. However, the kids were already antsy to go out and I still had the boots, mask, and symbol to finish.
Now I had looked for blue low heel boots everywhere and the only ones I had found were not in my size. Two years ago, I made boots out of heels and duct tape, but I had no blue tape or paint to cover the silver tape, so the leftover fabric and fabric glue would have to lend themselves to the creation of a pair of boot covers. They were by far the worst parts of the costume, but desperate times, right?
The mask was fairly easy, but was another victim of time. I had to cut the bridge off to remold to fit my face and extend the edges overlap past the hood. The eyeholes and edges had to be reshaped to make the mask look less cat-like and more Batgirl. Lastly, a quick coat of black spray paint was applied.
Another let down was the chest logo. I didn’t want anything permanent, such as fabric paint, so I tried to make a cling out of acrylic paint, but the paint didn’t dry in time. Printer paper it is then.
In the end, the costume wasn’t anything close to what I had in mind, but for a last minute costume, whipped up from scrap materials and duct tape, it isn’t too shabby. Just think of it as ‘Recession Batgirl’.
Anyway, I just wanted to get this up to let you guys know what happened with the costume. I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween and I will update with a couple full costume shots tomorrow. I am much too unmotivated to get into my costume right now. Aha…